background

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Washed White as Snow...

I don't even quite know how to begin this blog. I have to say I was a part of something last Sunday that will forever be engraved in my mind. Let's start a few months back...
Last September I started attending Divorcecare at a local church. My "home church" did not offer this at the time. It took A LOT to go but I went willingly and ready. It was one of the greatest decisions I ever made. I met so many precious people in that class, we cried, laughed and truly healed. One girl in paticular Kristi, and I formed a quick bond, we were about the same age, had matching purses (you know instant fashion bonds) and stayed in touch throughout the class and for a year after and still going! Kristi & I shared in daily struggles and trials that go along with our changed lifestlyes. A few months ago, Kristi asked if I would consider baptizing her at her church. At first my gut reaction was "heck no I can't do that" but I prayed about it and spoke to several ministers about this. The way her church does it is that someone that has walked alongside you or encouraged you in your spiritual life typically baptizes you, alongside with the pastor. I had never heard of such! This is a hip, awesome, very respected church in our area too. I had no doubts what they were doing was on the "up and up" but I wanted to know for me. :) I even had friends flat out say "Jennifer, you can't do that!" Also, I was the FIRST to admit "I am not worthy of this" Well, after considerable amount of prayer, and much guidance I agreed to take part. Still wasn't sure of how this was going to be done, but I was going to do it and... quietly. Sunday, I walked into the church, over 20 others were being baptized that day mostly by family or friends. I had a complete peace about the entire thing. Kristi's turn came and as we watched her awesome video/testimony I was able to say a few words and then baptize her in the name of our Father, Son and Holy Spirit. It was the 'traditional' Baptist way, even though this was a non-denominational church. And it was quite an experience!! It was an honor to be a part of her special day and amazing to see the personalization of each baptized that morning. Kristi herself emailed me first thing Monday morning and thanked me yet again for doing this. Little did she know it did more for me than her. One of the many things I got from Kristi is how she described the experience...her words were " I just remember being raised out of that water and feeling your hand on my shoulder. It truly felt like I was washed a new and the old stayed in that tank. I saw little debris of lint, hair, etc. in the water when I got in and at first thought it might be a little icky but after coming up out of the water I realized that that was just the old from each of us in that tank and God has now washed it clean for the next lost soul." Wow, could she have said this any better??
How often do we see baptisms but do we really realize we are washed white as snow? I was feeling so unworthy of this honor, yet maybe I needed to realize myself that, I too was washed white as snow and thankfully am over and over again. Even though we all have sin that crimson stains our lives, fabulously He washes it white as snow! He paid it all with His crimson~His blood He shed at the cross for US to be washed white as snow. Pretty rockin' if I do say so myself :)

"Come now, and let us reason together" says the Lord, "Though your sins are as scarlet, they will be as white as snow, though they are red like crimson, they will be like wool." Isaiah 1:18

2 comments:

Robyn said...

amazing, bud! simply, amazing!

HappyascanB said...

Jesus does Rock! You are incredible, Jennifer! I've never heard of having a friend baptize you, but man alive is that awesome. Thanks for sharing such an incredibly special experience with all of us!